facebooktwitterInstagramlinkedinyoutubeRSS

Monday Morning Inspiration: The Glory in Saying “I Finished”

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."  -Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

I did it, I finished my first 1/2 marathon this morning.  It’s true what Fred says, there is a lot of satisfaction in being able to say that.  I accomplished what I set out to do.

The point is that your fitness journey (whatever that is) is much more enjoyable when you stop comparing yourself to others and focus on your own progress.  The one thing I can say about running is that the only person I’ve ever competed against is myself.  It takes a lot of the stress and anxiety out of  it all.  With every race, my goal is to do better than the last.

Compete with yourself, never with others and you can’t go wrong.

PS:  More details from my race to come later this week.

Do you compete with yourself or others?  What’s been your biggest fitness accomplishment?

Be Sociable, Share!

11 Comments

Elle 08-10-2012, 10:37

Congratulations… love this post and so happy for you!

Kristen Mercier 08-10-2012, 22:18

Thank Elle. It was an amazing experience to say the least!

The Glory in Saying – Be Fit with Kristen – Living a fit and healthy … | Fresh Green World 08-10-2012, 13:00

[...] rest is here: The Glory in Saying – Be Fit with Kristen – Living a fit and healthy … Read more from Eco-Lifestyle daily, finished, focus, glory, habits, inspiration, monday, [...]

pat riley 08-10-2012, 19:56

great day kristen…..nice job!

Kristen Mercier 08-10-2012, 22:19

Thanks. I’m glad you came even though I didn’t get to see you.

Melissa @ Live, Love, & Run 08-10-2012, 21:39

Congratulations!!!!! Can’t wait to read all about it…and I’m a total competitor against myself. Always. I think as runners we compete with ourselves far more often than we do with others!

Kristen Mercier 08-10-2012, 22:22

I agree. Although if one is close enough to actually win the race then I suspect there is a little competition among others. But let’s face it, that’s not the majority of us anyway. ;)

KymberlyFunFit 09-10-2012, 02:04

So true that we can reach our goals and happiness once we look at our own progress more than comparing ourselves.

Kristen Mercier 10-10-2012, 08:04

I think it’s easier said than done for most people. We just have to keep re-iterating the message and eventually those who struggle with it will get there.

Jonathan Aluzas 11-10-2012, 16:59

I compete with myself AND others, and I rarely seem to be pleased with the outcome. Too critical.

Congrats on your finish. One of these days I’m going to do one of those, too.

Kristen Mercier 15-10-2012, 23:46

It’s a tough lesson to learn but I find that I am the most sane when I don’t compete period (with myself or others). Instead I try to focus on doing things for the fun of it. It makes a huge difference.